Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 31 - Dinwoodie to Crawford (24.5 miles)

So here I am, one month down the line and many many miles walked. I've crossed a country border and a lot of county boundaries. It's been tough, enjoyable, educational, and worth it but it's not over yet.

Today I dared to think of counting down to the finish line. Glasgow is fast approaching. From there it's approximately 100 miles to Fort William, then from there it's approximately 180 miles to the finish. So I'm thinking it's about 330 miles to go. That's approximately 17 or 18 days.

The reason I've made these calculations is because I've had the time to make them. The stretch of the journey I covered today is notorious as being void of any real interest. Indeed I was passed by just one cyclist. She commented I was a quick Walker. This comment is what spurred me to think of my original predicted end date (30th September) and look at when I will complete my challenge. I'm excited by the prospect of completion but I'm also very aware there is plenty to do. There's some big hills up here!

I got a Scottish rinse and blow dry again today. It seems I've chosen to do this walk during one of the wettest summers we've seen for some time.

As far as equipment is concerned I have been incredibly impressed with a Rohan jacket, my Icebreaker tops, and a pair of Rohan light weight trousers. For kit to be this light weight and yet keep the Scottish winds out, and me warm, is awesome. I'll do a kit run down after I've finished the challenge but these items have been great.

The small village I find myself in (Crawford) is fantastic. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help. I dropped into the local shop hoping the post office that was also in there, was open. It wasn't but the employees bent over backwards to help out. Just really helpful people and nice to boot.

When I arrived at Holmelands Country House the owners were very quick to stick a pot of tea on and light a fire for me. Yes, a fire is needed here! I cannot believe we're in Summer. We supped tea and chatted, I got to 'debrief' with someone which is fantastic.

I've just eaten a big meal at the local eatery and am now ready for a snooze. I slept much better last night and it showed in my time for covering the 24.5 miles - 8 hours exactly. I'm happy with that.

I'm not entirely sure where I'll be tomorrow evening but you can guarantee it'll be 20 ish miles north ish from here. Fingers crossed for dry weather (the wind wasn't too bad today. Thanks for the tip Barry)

4 comments:

  1. Daimon

    Well done once again, as you like Rohan products,they have a shop in Glasgow 118 Union St GL1 3QQ.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you clocked the miles today, thats brilliant. You never know with you advertising the Rohan gear you may get a freebie from them,well you can live in hope.Only 330miles to go, you are on the homeward stretch then. Take care, we are still right beside you......Keep that GOAL in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pleased you were not disappointed with the welcome you got tonight,wow amazing,,,,,,still, and you,ve had time to calculate your final run.we went to the auction function for Richard tonight,very successful,Edison Lighthouse was the band,excellant, they sang "you,l never walk alone" yes it was one of those sun glasses moment, and yes we,re all with you every step,and the occasional push up some of those hills that are ahead of you,happy walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bruv, day late I know but all I need say is LEGEND!!!!!You are and will be the Walkers walking Legend and I'm proud that you are MY brother.

    ReplyDelete