Monday 29 August 2011

Day 30 - Kirkpatrick Fleming to Dinwoodie (18.8 miles)

A shortish day today but needs must. I will be doing more like 24 miles tomorrow.

I couldn't get to sleep last night. I'd snoozed for an hour during the afternoon so I struggled to get to sleep. Consequently today I am in pain as I've had little 'healing' time. No matter, the show must go on!

I tried haggis at breakfast. I'd never had this before and I approached it like it was a pate. I'm not sure what the consistency, look, smell, etc should be of haggis but treating it like a fine pate worked for me.... and I live to tell the tale.

Today, as most of the days from here until Glasgow, was a B road (service road) slog. If I thought the wind was bad yesterday then I knew nothing. A NW wind was blowing in my face the whole of today which made the going uncomfortable. Head down, one foot in front of the other, I ploughed on.

Nothing really to report today. I stopped in Lockerbie fir a quick bite to eat but, apart from the small amount of people thy graced the streets there, I saw only cyclists.

One cyclist did stop to chat and advised me I was wearing the wrong shoes for the west highland way. I explained that the "new" shoes were due to be changed in Glasgow,

I did see a tractor! No ordinary tractor. This one was small, fast, clean, and had adverts saying "long way up - Lands End to John O'Groats" all over it. Well at least I was heading in the right direction.

Just a short entry today as I am beat!

Tomorrow is a long day to Crawford. Hopefully sleep will be easy to come by tonight and I'm also hoping tomorrow the wind dies down (or is 'gale force' standard for Scotland?)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, those 18.8 miles has now taken you nearer to your ultimate goal,so don.t beat yourself up,what an observant cyclist makeing a comment obout your shoes,good on him,chuckle, chuckle. I have been assured that your resting place tomorrow will be flying the flag to welcome you.onward and upward. happy walking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evening bruv!! Well, been away for a few days and missed your thoughts on life, the universe and everything! And what a lot I've missed!!

    I am truly amazed at the distance you have covered - just brilliant! As ever, our thoughts are with you.....just let me know when Mark Knopfler next puts in an appearance!

    I missed the footy over the weekend so I don't even know whether it was a good job you missed the match!! I know I wish I missed the Sunday results!!

    Walk tall and sing loud little bruv!! We are all there with and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I don't know how much this cyclist knows about footwear - but I don't see what's wrong with you attempting the west highland way in white high heels!!!! Pah! what does he know eh????Short days should make for long nights just as long as you don't sleep in the afternoon, perhaps you could take a walk instead - just to keep you awake of course. We keep hearing of more and more people that are loving your blog - your army is growing ever stronger.
    Have a good day tomorrow Bruv. we're following you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would a cyclist know about walking shoes -- their feet don't touch the ground ! Try sucking peppermints they work for me when I have strong wind Daimon -- Godspeed. We are watching you -- Barry ( and Jan) Hellifield.

    ReplyDelete