Sunday 28 August 2011

Day 29 - Carlisle to Kirkpatrick Fleming (13 miles)

After yesterday's surreal day it was nice to have an 'easy' day. A light stroll to Scotland. Not often one gets to say that!

I set off from Carlisle, which was an eerie ghost town and headed yet again Northwards. Obviously Sundays are still a day of rest in these parts. I liked it.

I hit the outskirts of Carlisle and the mood of the weather shifted. It turned more menacing and in the words of Paul Hogan "it was windy enough to blow the dog off his chain". The landlady of my previous nights lodgings had told me how End to End cyclists go up the country because it's easier with the prevailing winds. I'd also seen a headline of a paper this morning that read "quicker to walk: traffic chaos". I contest both of these statements.

I caught up with a fellow Walker along the way. He was from Düsseldorf and for the last 11 years had been making his way around Great Britains coast line. He'd started in the South East and our paths had intersected at this point in time. Bernhardt and I walked and talked. He'd seen masses of Europe both walking and touring in a car. It told me what I had already worked out on this challenge - you don't need to do it all in one go!

We continued into a welcoming Scotland and the first town of Scotland, Gretna. This was Bernhardt's final day of his 'holiday' and leg of of his journey so we did what any self-respecting person would do and celebrated. Into the nearest public house for a congratulatory beer. We sat next to a couple, Pam Green and Terry Armitage, who chatted with us. On hearing what I was doing, and why, Pam and Terry donated to the appeal. I swear I am not press-ganging people into giving money! These are just kind people. Terry also donned a fine royal blue bowler hat when he left - a true eccentric.

Bernhardt and I also had to leave. He to the train station, and I onwards to today's destination. We parted company. It had been good to have someone to talk to. My Camino had provided yet again. I hope to catch up with Bernhardt again one day to hear more of his tales.

I now sit feasting on some good food before a good rest.

Tomorrow I venture forth into Scotland and hope for less of a gale about the place!

3 comments:

  1. I now know what a camino is = a road, pilgrimage, route etc it's Spanish. Your camino is deffinately leading you to many friendly people and yet a few more"public houses".It's that winning smile that's getting you those donations, deffinately not press ganging tactics.May you meet many more chatty people on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, pressganging?? I think not - Far too nice to do that!! As mentioned it must have some thing to do with the winning smile plus all your charm and charisma that you have - it must be nice taking after me eh?? Only Joking Bruv.. there is no-one but you who deserves full recognition for everything that you are achieving on a daily basis. It feels to me as though you are growing everyday to get to JOG and prove to yourself and everyone else that you were right when you said you could do it. Well done on another good blog from another good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodbye England {for now} hello Scotland, you've had a good start eh/ YOU,VE certainly earnt your popularity and priviledge to have met so many interesting people, you deserve it, GO ON TELL YOURSELF YOU DESERVE IT.SOOO many people with you on this journey, keep that smile up, happy walking,

    ReplyDelete