Friday 26 August 2011

Day 27 - Tebay to Penrith (20 miles)

I left Tebay early and the RAF must have heard because they did a fly-by just as I was leaving. Very good of them to give me the nod.

It comes to this time of the week and I struggle. Today was no different. I've bruised the soft tissue on my heel of my left foot which means the bodies natural reaction is to only allow you to walk flat footed. This strains everywhere else and after 8 hours of walking you can guarantee pain. Even though my heel hurt like hell I just kept saying to myself "it will heal, it will heal". Eventually the pain subsided as the bodies natural pain killers took hold.

I tried to take my mind off of the niggles by doing maths in my head. I often give myself problems to solve to pass the time. If it takes me X amount of minutes to walk 20 paces, how far in miles would I walk in 10 hours? For example. Jumbled up questions that need sorting first. I puzzled for what seemed like a good 50 minutes or so then o checked my Garmin to see how long it had been since I last looked. 7 minutes had passed. I was clock watching and when you do that time may as well stand still. I marched on.

To help ease the time factor I took videos of myself speaking some of my thoughts. I noted that you don't feel lonely but when you finally get to talk to someone you just talk and talk. I've had to stop myself a few times mid flow with people because my stories overlap and it gets confusing. That's because I'm trying to say everything at once. It also occurred to me that when I left Lands End people thought it crazy, I moved up the country and crazy turned to amazing, moved up again and amazing turned to impressive. Today I got a "good luck" without even telling the person what I was doing. I can only guess that by the time I reach John O'Groats I will tell people what I am doing and they'll say "well, you picked a nice day for it" and they'll stroll off.

My watch was now speeding up, great! I'd got through the lull. I then entered Clifton which proudly states on it's village sign "last Battlefield on English Soil 1745". I wondered if this was a good thing or bad thing. Does this mean Clifton is a peace loving area or does this mean Clifton is long overdue a scrap? It turns out this is the place the Duke of Cumberland's army caught up with Bonnie Prince Charlie's Highlanders as they retreated from Derby. So ensued a bloody battle where the Duke came out tops... or so the sign said in the middle of the village.

I reached Penrith early but bruised and battered. My body is under enormous pressure to consistently perform this 8 hour walk, day in day out but I do also feel stronger, in mind and body. A good rest tonight will mean I'm all set for Carlisle tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Doing well mate, loving the updates

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs are getting earlier and earlier - soon you'll be writing them before you start! yet another good if not painful day for you, keep on keeping on Bruv - the Scottish lowland then highland are beckoning ever louder. Enjoy a good nights rest and set yourself up for Carlisle over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daimon

    Cah blimey mate, two weeks ago you were in Bristol, now just a short hop and yo'll be havin
    Haggis for breakfast. Gretna Green is also just over the border. We hope Grumpy +one has a good holiday. There is a local maths question for you, if you get it correct you may have an idea where we live, how many beans make five? Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daimon

    Congratulations you have nearly completed England. I hope you are aware that you can join a special club www.enderstoenders.co.uk, to join you must complete the route and verify the journey, safe journey crossing the border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This journey and blogs just gets better every day, you're nearly at the last leg now, fantastic. CARLISLE, your next stopover, began as a Roman town called LUGU VALLIUM !!! HOPE this destination also put's you on a "HIGH" ha ha, LOVE IT,ENJOY IT, SAVOUR IT, HAPPY WALKING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the blog gets better and better. Nearly over the border and u'll have to wear a kilt to blend in with the locals. You may not understand what they say, but if you smile sweetly and give a nod and a wink I am sure you'll be ok.After all that smile is worth a lot!!! Keep going you've conquered England now do the same with Scotland(you sasonack) not sure how if the spelling is correct??

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fantastic .... nearly at Scotlands front gate. So tell me i have to know Left road or Right road !!!! take care and look out for those cheeky little haggis that run around those hills. cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dai, hope your injuries are improving :( compeed? ice? not sure about soft tissue stuffs. Can you post your videos on Facebook? ;) Amused that you aren't just doing the talking to yourself bit, but filming it ;)

    ReplyDelete