Thursday 11 August 2011

Day 12 - S Bristol to Falfield (19.5 miles approx)

Day 12 started early. I'd checked the weather report the night before and I knew rain was coming. I wanted to be packed up before then.

I was getting everything in place when I heard the patter of rain drops on the tent. I went into over drive stuffing things here, there, and everywhere. The rain started to hammer down. I bailed out of the tent, quickly tore up the pegs, removed the one supporting collapsable pole, stuffed the pegs and pole in any place I could find, grabbed all my kit - including loose tent - and made for driest place I could think of... the shower block.

In the shelter of the shower block I could prepare myself much better for the wet weather. I covered everything, and triple checked everything. Now to try on the poncho. It of course fitted but I did get caught by a guy who'd come in to use the loo doing my Clinton Eastwood impression in the full length mirror. I made my excuses and left.

Leaving the premises was the first challenge. The big iron gates were closed and a number keypad next to the gates suggested I needed to input a code to open them. I wandered around the grounds and wondered what it might be "0000?" I thought. Surely not, I went back to the gate, tried four zeroes, pressed enter then told myself off for being dumb. There must have been easily £1,000,000 worth of cars in the premises. They weren't going to protect them with four zeroes!

I eventually found some workmen on site. I explained my predicament and asked if they might know the code. The one guy thought then said "1,2,3,4, ah but then you have to press ENTER". I scolded myself a second time for not trying the obvious.

Finally free I set off for Bristol. Bristol is nice enough. It's very large and the people are friendly enough. A strange thing happened. I was offered a free copy of the Metro. This hadn't happened to me since I left London and it put a smile on my face that I was in a large enough place that the Metro deemed it necessary to peddle their paper.

Another thing that happened was a drunk man (yes drunk by 9:30am) stopped me and said "Are you that guy doing all that walking?" Taken aback I said "to where?". "all over the place" was his reply. I humoured him and told him it was me. I'm pretty sure my blog hasn't reached the heady heights of headline story, especially considering the recent unrest (what's THAT all about?? - rhetorical question). However, Mr Drun Kard seemed very happy to have met 'The Walker'.

I was now soaked through but I didn't let my spirits get dampened. I plodded on mile after mile. Before I knew it I was crossing underneath where the M4 and M5 intersect one another. This felt like a landmark to me. The M4 cuts a fairly straight line across the lower part of England. That section was now done and most of my travelling would be heading North now instead of East North East.

I had to cross the M4 again such is the A38's want and as I did I looked to my left. There in the distance was the Severn Bridge. Another landmark that brought a big smile to my face.

The sky's held onto their rain and I stopped for a break. My feet were throbbing. I found a bus shelter and took the pack off and shoes, and socks to let my poor feet breath. I leaned back and closed my eyes. It felt like ages! I woke with a panic to see a bus full of people staring at me. I felt like a right hobo. I'd only been 'out' for 15 minutes but that was break time over. I got the socks, shoes, and back pack on. Off I went again and finished the day off sitting on a bench in Falfield waiting for my Uncle and Aunty who are being my saviours and putting me up for the night. Awesome.

Tomorrow I will be without back pack as I'll be hopefully staying at the sane place tomorrow night.

I think I am finally starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. I need to keep hold of this feeling and use it against the 'bad' days.

Day 13 tomorrow and I'm Gloucester bound.

8 comments:

  1. This is worth coming home to read Bruv I have to say! Always brings a smile. At last a couple of days of pampering and being looked after should help to work away the weariness of those tired feet - you could do with a session in the beauty salon having them massaged!! Enjoy your time with familiar faces allow yourself to be pampered - you've earned it. Adie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair play mate what your doing is ace, keep up the good work and enjoying reading the blogs.

    Remember you..... oh go on then " you love life"
    Enjoy fella.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a differance a day makes eh?Feelings are funny things,but very normal, you,re normal, well sort of ha ha .Clint Eastwood indeed. Enjoy being spoilt for a few days, well earn't,Great blog, keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mate,

    Very nice read this blog is.

    Keep up to good work.

    Hope it stays dry for you till your next rest day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again another great blog ! Clint eastwood how funny. Remember to re read that on your bad days to lift your mood. So proud you are doing so well cindy & phill (he also now reads your blog and loves it he never got to meet you)have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. FrednPat are Daimons U and A, you will all be pleased to hear that Daimon looks very well considering the distances he is covering. Nice and brown, arrangements have been made for Daimon to relax in the local health centre for a couple of hours tonight, on Sunday he will be in the Forest Fitness centre for Physio etc where all his muscles will be tested to oblivion. It's 3pm, with luck he should be getting very close to Gloucester +- 2 miles. The compas is now set to North.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daimon is "roughing it" tonight at www.csmaclubretreats.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) The Walker... how fitting.. I just said to OH.. wonder if this will make the news.. after all.. Eddy did :)

    ReplyDelete