Saturday 6 August 2011

Day 7 - Zeal Monachorum to SW Tiverton (approx 21 miles)

So onto day 7 where I fully expected last night that I would be hobbling my way through the day.

I got woken a lot last night due to the fact the Waie Inn camp site is right next to the pub garden. Sounded like someone was lost in the night, stumbling about calling "OPEN!" in that I'm-whispering-but-whispering-loud-enough-so-you'll-hear-me kind of way. I'm not sure what he wanted opened. Maybe his eyes? Who knows? Sleep came eventually...

I woke nice and early. I was being rained on gently. I got myself together which took rather longer than expected. 2 hours to be precise. Lord knows what I was doing. Faffing mainly. I set off at a good time though (8:15) and decided in my head that Tiverton was to be my next stop.

I'd changed the footwear for the day to running shoes as these are much lower cut obviously than boots and this would give my heat rash ankles some air time (glamourous!)

Everyone in Devon that doesn't own a car must be among the fittest people on Gods earth. The hills in Devon go on and on. This is a bad thing even when travelling downwards, especially with a fully loaded pack, because you are constantly 'breaking' which puts huge load on your knees, feet, ankles, shoulders, you name it. If it's carrying a load, that load feels 10x the weight.

For today I had chosen to ignore the pain and do 20 miles just to get to Tiverton, a natural break point.

From ZM I wandered along lovely quiet roads, the rain had stopped, cloud was still covering the sky fully, and the temperature had levelled off to a decent walking temperature. I climbed one incredibly long hill and at the top a sheltered waited with the inscription "quid nobis ardu" which I've been told means "What is hard for us".

2 comments:

  1. Darren and Claire6 August 2011 at 21:46

    blimey that's a few more than the 10 miles you were talking about, a nice early start put you in a good place. Rest day will do nicely then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,certainly a very interesting and productive day, well earned BB, cant wait to see your impression of David Belamy heeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete