Saturday 6 August 2011

Day 7 pt2 - Zeal Monachorum to SW Tiverton (approx 21 miles)

pt 1 is below pt 2


Lots of little villages and hamlets came and went - the nicest in name and features being Puddington. Thatched houses, large double sized barn doors for the double sized private garage, kids playing in the street, peace and quiet. Nice.

Then came the turning point of the day. The B3137! It's a wide enough road for 2 cars... Just. People barrel along it at Schumacher speed and it's busy. It's the most main road going West out of Tiverton so with hindsight I would have approached Tiverton very differently.

I started to look for a different route but the options were minimal. I happily took to a track that led off into a wooded area. I kept seeing green feed stations by the side of the track and shortly I realised I was in the middle of a pheasant farm. If you've seen Jurassic Park II (or was it III?) and can recall the little dinosaurs running along a beach, pack hunting... well that's how I felt. Apart from the hunting bit, they just threw themselves at me in a blind panic! I ended up in someone's back garden whilst trying to get back out of this wooded area and decided I was better off back on that B road.

I went on for a few more miles but again I experienced too many near misses for comfort (including the Neanderthal in a White van that flicked me the bird and did the coffee shaker whilst pointing his van at me). So it was I found myself, once again, on the nice quiet road that ran parallel to that B road. It was like a million miles away, my mood lifted and I sloped downwards into Tiverton outskirts.

Sue (my Sister-in-law, Richards sister) had booked a B&B for me which is where I find myself now. It's quiet, it has it's own shower, tea/coffee making facilities, and.... a bed. 2 beds in fact. I feel like I've won the lottery. I arrived in a Cornish 4:30 'ish' (I know I'm in Devon but I like this Cornish way of measurement - the 'ish') and I had a shower, unpacked, laid in bed (a bed! With pillows!), and this is where I am staying until tomorrow. I'll then get up, eat, then find my way back to bed because tomorrow is a rest day.

Have a peaceful Sunday all.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, mike and the boys.6 August 2011 at 22:52

    Look forward to reading more. You're doing a great job for a very worthy cause! Enjoy your rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well earned rest I think Bruv. Bit of time for R & R and maybe even become a tourist for the day in sunny Tiverton - I've heard it's very nice there!! Shout if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Daimon keep going. Jen and I reading your blog daily with interest. Hopefully you will not encounter too many more idiots on the road, unfortunately the trials shared with most British cyclists. How is the adventurers beard coming on? Well worth the effort and the stragglier the better! Keep enjoying and keep looking after your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done and what an introduction to Devon you are having ? Glad your still using Cornish time and hopefully not Cornish Miles !!! we dont have them honest 1 mile is normally 2 Devon ones. Your doing so well Phill and i are willing you on every day. Have a great rest day Jelly Beans are excellent for energy cindy

    ReplyDelete