Thursday 4 August 2011

Day 5 - Jamaica Inn to Lewdown (21.18 miles)

Day 5 started with a quick visit to Jamaica Inn to take a picture of a plaque that states "On this spot Joss Merlyn was murdered"! Obviously adding to the spooky surroundings of the place but enough of this sight seeing! I had some lovely miles to gobble up.

An hour or so into the days walk and I realised I hadn't had breakfast. I was being gently reminded by my belly who the boss was. So I started to look for places local and found myself at the Kings Head near Five Lanes if memory serves me well. I was greeted by Joanne and Amy who bent the rules to get me the biggest nicest bacon baguette I've had in ages. They were brilliant not only to me (so not the sympathy vote!) but to every person that walked in they engaged them all. I live and work in London so to me this cordialness never goes unnoticed. Thank you ladies, you set me up for the day.

Belly full, I strode off toward a forest of "Tre's". Everywhere seems to start 'Tre' in that area. Must be like the names ending in 'den' in Kent. If someone could enlighten me that would be ace.

So through the Tre's and onto Launceston. I love Launceston. Oh, just to digress slightly you may notice that I've glossed over Bodmin somewhat. That's because I'm afraid to say I didn't feel very welcome. I'm sure there will be more places in the country like that but when you have so many good things to talk about there's no need to dwell on the not so good. Right! Back to Launceston. A really pretty place with lots of people busying about the place and generally looking very happy with themselves. No doubt because they know they live in wonderful place. If you're reading this, stop now, get in your car, drive to Launceston, say "wow!" and "ah nice!" then leave. Well we don't want to fill the place up too much do we? Less is more and all that.

I spent too much time walking in circles loving the place and got lost. I asked the kind lady in the information centre how to get onto the Two Castles Trail and she furnished me with information a plenty. Off I went. Bye Launceston, I'll be back.

Hills! They came next. Lots of them. Big ones, little ones, some nasty ones but all were conquered (heroically) until I got to Lifton. I could feel myself starting to wain so you can imagine how lifted my spirits were when I got a location document from my brother. This showed me where he and his wife Claire were camped for the night.

I tried to make it all the way there but I had to cut it short by 3.5 miles. My day was done... and so should my washing be now. Until tomorrow Bon nuit.

5 comments:

  1. Love your blogg ,Five days in and this sounds like it will be a good seller when published eh? good day today, you,re going great guns,{FED ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daimon, loving the blog, keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, Mike and the boys.4 August 2011 at 23:27

    Look forward to the next nightly instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on Bruv. To lift your spirits if it needed doing, this evening Richard opened his eyes aprox 2/3 way and moved his left leg and arm. He's not quite upto running around and playing the drums but he is definitely fighting his way back.
    take care mate - and don't forget brekkie in the morn!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We stayed here for the night:

    http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/devon/okehampton/meadowview1

    ReplyDelete