Wednesday 24 August 2011

Day 25 - Hellifield to Kirkby Lonsdale (24 miles)

The day started with Jan & Barry Hills @ Chapel Farm B&B treating me to a delicious breakfast made primarily from local produce. Jan & Barry's kindness was extraordinary. I can't thank them enough. I left with clean clothes, a full belly, and a warm heart. chapelfarm b&b take a look, fantastic place and fantastic people. Thank you Jan & Barry.
Off I struck in the direction of Kirkby Lonsdale along the A65. This route had to change quickly. The A65 is hellish to walk on! If you walk End to End do NOT follow my path! Not at this section anyway. I noted I could take a minor road that turned into a bridle way and also mirrored the A65, albeit at a higher altitude. It was a no brainer, I turned off the A65 ASAP and headed for the hills. Within minutes I started to feel the fear subside. My life no longer in imminent danger of expiring I started to enjoy myself again. I passed to Yorkshire gents who took an interest in what I was doing. Immediately they dug deep and donated to Richards Appeal. I thanked them and we parted company.
I walked into Settle and headed for the Information Centre where I picked up a map for my next leg of this journey. Foolishly I've left my other maps in Cinderford (sorry Uncle Fred and Aunty Pat could you let me know the numbers of the maps that are with you please?) With delight I could see I could spend a lot of time away from the busy A road.
I arrived in a little place called Austwick and I was due a break. It was 4 hours in to the day. I found a convenient bench and sat with my pack still on. Now it was lighter since shifting the extra weight the other day it wasn't such a chore having it attached to me. I leant back and tilted my hat to shield my eyes. "have you come to a standstill?" I removed my hat and opened my eyes to see a couple walking down the road. I'd passed them earlier and now they asked me how I was doing. I told them what I was doing and they immediately offered me a cup of tea "we only live up there", but it was more than o could ask for. The couple were heading in the other direction to their home, they were obviously off out somewhere. We chatted and indeed they were off out. Their son David Holme had been involved in an accident 26 years previously and at the age of 20 this couple had lost David. They were off to tend his grave. It struck a chord with me for obvious reasons and how everything that has and is happening could have turned out so differently. The lady reached into her pocket and gave the contents of it. I said my farewells and really felt for this couple. "not forgotten" is what they said he was and I went to pay my respects at David's grave.
Moving on and it started to rain. I've been really lucky with the weather so far but today I got a good soaking. It really didn't concern me though, all I had to do was look around me. Stunning scenery everywhere I looked. How can you be miffed with such delights around you?
As I write this I'm half a mile from my campsite. There will be no food near there so I've stopped to fill up on fish and chips at Whoop Hall. Great name.
Tomorrow sees me heading due North once again. Scotland I'm nearly with you!




3 comments:

  1. A good hearty breakfast, fish and chips and a free wash en route, what more could you ask for.Well you are certainly meeting lots of people from all walks of life. The human race doesn't appear to be so bad as we are lead to believe. There are certainly some kind,generous, genuine peolpe about, as you have had the good fortune to find out. Life's not all bad then.Your new shoes seem to be making you walk on air, so put your best foot forward and achieve that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAY 25, HOW GOOD IS THIS JOURNEY TURNING OUT TO BE FOR YOU AND US READING YOUR BLOG, JUST FANTASTIC, TO READ AND SAVOUR OVER AND OVER AGAIN, THANK YOU DAIMON,SCOTLAND IS WAITING FOR YOU WITH YET MORE UNFORGETABLE VIEWS ,GO ON, HAPPY WALKING,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post bought a tear or two ... you must be going through so much emotion yourself on your personal journey too..

    ReplyDelete