Tuesday 23 August 2011

Day 24 - Haworth to Hellifield (21 miles)

I woke this morning with a start "dam! I'm late!!" I had even asked for breakfast 15 minutes earlier than was originally suggested and now I was late! I scrambled around for my phone to see the time... 2:30am. I shook the dream away and tried to relax again but the wheels of thought were in motion. I started thinking about my route, how long it will take, will I finish on time, where to book next or rather where to let my family know where to book next, should I take The Pennine Way? etc etc

The last question I answered with simple time vs distance. 14 miles on the road equalled 18 miles on The Tops. Time I didn't have would be lost so a tough decision made easy, The Pennine Way will have to wait for another time. I'll be back for you though!

I did get back to sleep and I did wake at the right time and things started to settle with me. I'd made another decision based on what Mick and Gayle (See Day 18) had suggested - if I had a pile of my pack that was definitely in, and a pole that was 'maybe', be ruthless with the 'maybe' pile and send it home. I was ruthless and a cull was made. I shaved a whopping 11lbs off of the weight of my pack! I'd also sent home my walking boots. They'd been passengers for too long and the Achilles tendon problems were returning because I'd worn the boots one whole day (yesterday). This meant I needed more shoes so before my walking day started I went to Keighley and bought a pair of Brasher shoes. I was amazed to find I could do 20 miles on a pair of shoes 'out of the box' with no harm to my feet. Looks like I'd made a good buy. Unfortunately they're discontinued so I'll not be able to get anymore but hey ho, there will be other good buys.

By the time I returned to Haworth fir the start of today's walk it was noon. This was easily the latest I'd started one of my walks. I needed to make tracks, I usually like having 10 miles under my belt by lunch time.

It started with a huge descent into Sutton-In-Craven. I was dreading the bottom of this giant hill. After all, what goes down has generally meant it must go up again thus far. Only this time it didn't. This time the roads made for gentle inclines and declines. My speed leapt up and before I knew it I'd bagged 13 miles. Nice! It was at this point I joined one of my beloved canal walks. The Liverpool and Leeds canal went through Gargrave and linked up the other side with the road I was going to walk on. Perfect. I do love canals. I think it might be the boat names "Excalibur", "Merlin", "The Amy May", "No 4". Okay maybe not the last one but generally the names make the boat dear. Someone thought of the names. It could be a loved one, a historical character, a place, a book, a pet, anything. All of them are personal to someone who obvious cares for the vessel. There's a lot of pride on those waterways.

Unfortunately I had to leave the canal. Unfortunate because I like canals but also unfortunate because I was now on a very fast, narrow, A65. I spent the remainder of the walk playing with traffic but it made me walk faster and I got to Hellifield in 7 hours or thereabouts.

I'm staying at Chapel Farm run by Jan and Barry Hills. It's one of those magical places for me. I feel very comfortable and relaxed, not to mention welcome. This is definitely somewhere I would recommend for people to stay if in the area. The other great thing is (fanfare sounds) I am at the half way point! It's no longer can I do it, I CAN walk still so no reason my body should complain any louder than it has been doing.

Tomorrow I set off on the nasty A65 again and keep walking! Unsure of my destination as yet.

One last thing before I sign off - in answer to Cindy's question regarding singing. I'm not sure where this "sing loud" has come from!

6 comments:

  1. My my Daimon you do seem to be drawn to the canal toe paths. I think you must have been a Bargee in a former life. I can see why you like them so much though. Your doing really well. Yes those fan fares should have been sounding about now, we were saying yesterday that you were about the half way mark BRILLIANT, keep on plodding on, we are still there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow yet another amazing eventful day, you are going great guns, yes ditto, its now ,not if you finish but WHEN. Onwards and upwards. HAPPY WALKING.Kirby Lonsdale becons you tomorrow,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daimon

    Congratulations on the half way point, can anyone give me an idea how Spurs did the other day. Someone has quoted 3-0, time for a re-think arry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bruv, you seem to have become somewhat muddled I think!!!! Why? because surely the "fanfare" should have been the very first and indeed very loudest thing that happened! absolutely brilliant news and an incredible achievement. Here's to the next half - we're all still here and indeed growing in numbers. some were born to follow - you Daimon are quite obviously a leader, your following is worldwide and is now set in the Walker family legends for ever - massive!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright Dai we get the message...You LOVE canals :-) Glad you met up with Bobby, i was worried i had not sent him your phone number in time. Loving the blogs, good luck for the rest of the week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your going is great! So pleased you culled the baggage, and your new shoes are working well.. still catching up.. :)

    ReplyDelete