Monday 22 August 2011

Day 23 - Marsden to Haworth (21 miles approx)

Today I met a couple at breakfast that were doing The Pennine Way and I neglected to get their names or contacts so first off hopefully you are reading this and could you leave a comment so I could possibly see how you got on/are getting on with it.

Something else I need to mention is if you'd like to see some pictures from my travels you can befriend me in Facebook www.Facebook.com/Daimon.walker and peruse LEJOG images at your leisure.

Lastly on the 'admin' front I want to say thank you for the comments you leave. I'm not being rude by not replying, I am just technically unable to respond from my iPhone. Sorry and thanks all at the same time!

Right! Onto today. I was treated to stunning views after stunning views today (hence why I'd like you to see some of the pictures on FB). I really didn't know what to do with myself at one point, I sat, looked, tried to drink in the phenomenal surroundings. So so stunning. These continued all the way from Marsden to Haworth. I took the road route because I am tied by time to get to John O'Groats in an allotted amount of time. I would implore any person thinking of doing End to End to spend more time ON The Pennine Way itself. You will not be disappointed.

I travelled light today thanks to Bobby Thandi (very good friend and serial 'stag-member') who took my non-essentials to my next port of call. It's made me think about what I am carrying and do I REALLY need that stuff? I think not so tomorrow I will send back home the excess weight. 45lbs is WAY too much to carry over 1000miles up and down hills. It's also dangerous on some of the descents, it tries to topple you over. Not fun!

I'm going to cut the journey story short (suffice it to say I am a very happy man having seen the sights I've seen today). I want, instead to talk about my support team.

People have asked if I am doing this solo. The answer is yes and no. I am walking solo and 'out there' on my tod but could I have done this without my family and friends? Simple answer is no.

Everything from encouragement to map purchasing to hotel/B&B booking all of this has been done by family and friends. You the person reading this blog, you let me know someone is there. So I'm not REALLY alone. Physically yes, but not emotionally. For that I want to say thank you. Without your help and support this would have failed within a week. Thank you.

Another thank you goes to Mark Hutchinson who is MD of Harrison and Clough ltd. My brother Adie used to work for this company and he says (I quote) it's the "Nicest company I have EVER worked for" and I can tell why. I have never met Mark but he has secured me a stay in an inn in Haworth. Thank you Mark, it's very much appreciated.

Tomorrow I was going to dabble with "The Tops" again. I think a few miles beyond Gargrave will see 20+ miles out. While the body is still not broken why not use it?

4 comments:

  1. I hope you have enjoyed all the different sorts of beer on your journey!
    I have decided you need to walk it JOGLE back so the story cont.....! You never know you might bump in to some of your supporters again.
    love the bed time reading.......... Look forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever, I love reading the snippets from your up and coming book.........Loving every bit of it that you are Bruv. and standing with you through the odd bits that you're not enjoying so much.
    That mid point marker is just round the corner - and maybe over a hill - but either way it's getting ever closer. Looking forward to supporting you onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Daimon you sound as if your on top of the world today mentally and physically, pictures fab.We took Mum and Dad on pullman yesterday for Sunday lunch and it was fabulous. But unfortunately we are homeward bound tomorrow. So we shall be reading your blog in The Forest again, waiting with baited breath each evening to read your magic words. Enjoy the sights and people you meet. All good wishes.(XXXX) sorry I couldn't resist, I KNOW i'M not supposed to send kisses but hey ho, that's just the devil in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fantastic, memorable day,Daimon, tomorrow becons you to yet another one to more than half way,,,,amazing, well done, there is a massive crowd now with you every step of the way,just LOVE your blog,my medicine fix for a good night,s kip. walk strong sing loud, happy walking.

    ReplyDelete