Friday 19 August 2011

Day 20 - Leek to Birch Vale (24 miles)

Last night I loaded up on tasty carbs at Primo Piano Pizzeria in Leek as recommended by the Manager at my stay for the night - Peak Weavers. I also wolfed down a hearty breakfast before setting off for the day. I'd been warned that I had a huge hill to climb heading where I was heading - into The Peaks.

Today was going to test my stamina. I'd noted that I had 23 miles with large hills and still with a full 44lb pack. I broke it down to 2 parts - pre Buxton and post Buxton.

The first hill I came to I assumed was the big hill I'd been warned about. I attacked it hard and within a few minutes I was breathing hard. Within another few minutes I was sweating but I pushed harder and reached the top. HA! 'big hill'?! Pah! I'd nailed it... Or so I thought. A mile later I rounded a corner and saw the biggest hill ever disappearing into the distance. "ah" I thought, "they meant THIS big hill!" I attacked this one slowly, head down, plod, plod, plod. When I reached the top I took a chance to stop and breath. It was then I looked about me properly. All I can say is 'stunning'! I was in beautiful surroundings, breathing fresh fresh air, watching birds of prey circling. Fantastic. I pushed on.

4 hours in and I'd not gone far. I reached the highest store in England (apparently) Flash Bar Stores and Coffee Shop. I stopped for a rest and a refuel. I wasn't going to make yesterday's mistakes again. 20 minutes later I was back on the road.

Fast forward and I reached Buxton - 13 miles done. I stopped only briefly here as time was starting to work against me. I'd worked out at the rate I was going I'd be on the road for 10 hours. I pushed on having spied a short cut on my map that Google hadn't. It would take me through a golf course but I'd be careful not to interrupt anyone. When I got to the cut through I immediately regretted it. I was a direct route but directly up. I was climbing and climbing. When I came out of my shortcut I was gasping for breathe but I was ahead of where I was going to be. A shortcut yes but at a cost. I should be more careful. Slow and steady will win this race.

I headed up an old disused road that went on for miles. I took me away from everything. No traffic, no people, no sound. I sat. I enjoyed. This was peace. Whilst I sat and pondered life, the universe, and everything I also thought I'd see if I could find another shortcut to Birch Vale. I'd found one and this time no ridiculous climbing. Having triple checked my route I set off back to civilisation.

I want to take this moment to confess I think I may have an unhealthy fascination with canals and their boats. I say this because I stumbled across a basin in Buxworth. As soon as I saw s canal boat I thought "Canal! Canal = Tow path = flat ground". I immediately consulted my map, how had I missed this? I changed my route immediately and loved the decision. Flat ground! My legs were loving it! 20 miles and still feeling strong.

I needed to peel away from the canal so I could get back on track for my B&B. Part of my walk back on track took me under a railway line. Nothing amazing about that you may think but I was nearly on top of the point where a bridge should be but I couldn't see it, then I looked up. Through the tree branches I could see a huge old bridge towering above me. Another amazing sight.

The canal diversion had cost me an extra mile but it was well worth it for the flat and the bridge alone.

Lots happened today but I can't really convey all of it. In summary though - we live in a beautiful country if you're reading from the UK, and if you're reading from elsewhere you really should visit. Come and see the sights. Grab a map and start walking, it's that easy. I guarantee you'll find something interesting.

Tomorrow will hopefully be a shorter day as my legs ended the day aching.

Marsden here I come.

8 comments:

  1. Well done Daimon. Glad you enjoyed the "big hill".
    Best of luck for the rest of it.
    Nick (Peak Weavers, Leek)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'That's not a hill.......THIS is a hill!'.....it's like something out of an 80's movie! (Crocodile Dundee anyone??!).

    Glad to 'hear' a note of cheer in your voice tonight bruv - definitely a case of the bad days making the good days great days! Peace and quiet really can help you find peace within yourself, and it sounds to me like you've got that in bucket loads :)

    Congratulations on another good week Daimon - hopefully you can rest now and look forward to another one to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. still reading your wonderful blg,sounds as if y0ur'e having some better days with brilliant scenery.The miles are clocking up.Continue to enjoy your journey. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah my dear brother, Gods country is beckoning ever louder. The peak district and Yorkshires dales are amongst the most stunning and breathtaking parts of our country, and the people - as you are finding out are amongst the most friendly. Enjoy your time with yourself and also with everyone that is "with" you as you cover this leg of your adventure. Still lovin' the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember being told Brighton's not hilly ;) glad you're having a good time Daimon!! As I said, I get lost with a bloody satnav, you obviously have the map reading nack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi so good to hear you,re really enjoying your challenge and meeting some amazing people. you are in for a lively time tomorrow as a wedding reception is staying at the Carriage house, ENJOY. HAPPY WALKING WALK STRONG SING LOUD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. out of interest what songs do you sing !!! good luck today and totally agree such a beautiful land we live in. Me and my son finished at viners now going to serve Doombar elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daimon

    Best wishes for a well deserved rest on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete