Monday 1 August 2011

Day 2 - Hayle to Shortlanesend (20 miles)

The day started with me poking my head out of the door to see thick fog and lots of dampness. Another wet day ahead by the look of it. I dragged myself down to the shower block, freshened up and Darren and I set off for Hayle where we stopped yesterday.
By the time we arrived in Hayle the ground was drying and the fog had lifted. Things were looking up but Darren was broken. We'd decided that I would go solo today but leave the back pack at basecamp. I was wearing my running shoes and was weighing 40lbs less so I had a kind of skip in my step.
The first few miles sailed by and the legs loosened up which allowed a pace of about 3.5 mph (steady!) Not breaking any speed limits but the miles were being ticked off.
I'd decided on 5 miles, rest, 5 miles, rest, etc but I was going so well I decided on 2 hours, rest 15 minutes, 2 hours, rest 30 minutes, 2 hours, rest 15 minutes, 2 hours. 8 hours at this pace should see 22 miles off but it wasn't sustainable. By mile 14 I was feeling it again and thoughts turned to stopping. I continued and reached our base camp in Blackwater near Truro. I changed clothes here into running kit and decided to run the final 6 miles. This would have been far easier if the roads weren't so dangerous. No paths, no bridleways, and no footpaths meant I was dicing with the traffic. I detoured ASAP and started heading to Truro via back roads which were still laden with traffic. I completed the day heavily chaffed about the buttocks(!) but 20 miles to the good.
Looking at Mark Moxons route it seems I've cut 5 or 6 miles off of his route but I can't relax too much just yet. Only a 1050 ish miles to go. Subject to change.
I spoke with someone on the phone today at lunchtime ish and it was great to hear her voice. Lifted the spirits.
Tomorrow may be a short day as I am suffering with the chaffing but we will see. Darren was broken today but is mended for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. still with you mate - although I'm not suffering the chafing that you are!!!! Head up, shoulders back and dig in we're on our way!!
    Adie.

    ReplyDelete