Thursday 18 August 2011

Day 19 - N Abbots Bromley to Leek (21 miles)

Today I struggled. I woke at Gayle and Mick's place feeling refreshed but anxious. This anxiety has been with me most mornings and is almost certainly because I am doing +20 miles per day. Mick and Gayle fed me and then Gayle drove me to my pick up/drop off point. I donned my pack (which, incidentally, we weighed. It topped the scales at 44lbs! Some streamlining required I think) and set off for Leek.

Today was going to be a bit of minor roads and A-roads which is fine. I would say though if anyone else tries the End to End experience you should plan not to use roads and you should take longer to do it than 2 months. I currently feel I am rushing it and although I am seeing many beautiful places and things I am sure there is oodles that is passing me by. But back to today...

Like I said I struggled. Within 30 minutes I was grumpy, not really grumpy but on the cusp of becoming very grumpy. I obviously knew this was futile and silly but I couldn't put my finger on what was bothering me. I do know my walking poles kept slipping from their bungie housing on my pack which made them irritating. I took a moment on the side of the road and tried to sort the poles. They weren't playing ball so I did what any juvenile would do and had a tantrum! The sticks landed in the hedge and I immediately thought "idiot". As I'd let the poles get to me this made me more grumpy. I'm starting to think I could probably have an argument with myself if you put me in a box. I decided what was best was to keep walking until this feeling subsided. Sticks retrieved and back in their bungie home I set off.

I reflected on the last few weeks, on how lucky I am, on Richards plight, on my Dads condition, on my daughter and not seeing her as much as I'd like, on relationships. And then I stopped myself. I realised negative emotions were getting to me. This was all part of the weird feeling I started with. I had to power through this. First walk break came and went, I didn't want to stop. Lunch came and went, I still didn't want to stop, I had to walk this feeling off. 16 miles and I spoke to my brother Adie. I explained I feeling like it was getting to me but I was okay. I knew this was going to be one of those days. After the call I started getting feedback from my feet to tell me to stop. A convenient bench appeared and I sat, released my pack, tilted my head back, and promptly fell asleep. This is not the first this instant sleep has hit me and when I woke 5 minutes later I realised my whole days mood was because of tiredness. 20 miles a day carrying 3 extra stone is a lot of punishment for the body and exhaustion builds up. Rest days are important!

I felt really happy that I'd found the root of the problem and took to the road. The 20 minute break had done me wonders! A spring was back in my step and a smile returned to my face. I felt happy that I'd worked through the problem. Okay it had taken 6 hours but I got there. The next few miles sailed by, normal service had been resumed.

As far as the walking goes the terrain is getting hilly again bit they aren't having the impact Devon had. These are much more enjoyable!

I've arrived at today's B&B in Leek and I'm famished! (I don't recommend skipping meals especially when you are doing upwards of 120 miles a week, not clever!) I'm off to the local Italian to load carbs galore into my body.

If today sounds like a downer it wasn't, it was just hard. Other people have much much harder battles in their life, my day was nothing but a bit of exhaustion. Rest days 'cure' that. I need to remind myself there are others out there trying really hard to get better and I know they will (Richard I'm thinking of you) but you'll need to take your time. When I get back hopefully you can take me for a beer and tell me all about your journey.

Tomorrow I think I'm heading out of Staffordshire. Another county closer to the goal!

10 comments:

  1. Dai,
    Keep up the good work. All the lads have been talking about what you are doing and we have come to the conclusion that you are a mental man with a big heart. We are with you all the way (in spirit)so don't let the bad days get you down too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DITTO,YES A BIG HEART, ONWARD AND UPWARD HAPPY WALKING,WALK STRONG SING LOUD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evening little bruv!!

    Well, just as I'm sitting here thinking how knackered I am cos I worked an early turn this morning, I read your blog and get a touch of the 'guilts'!! I'm not knackered really, just mildly tired.

    And my sore feet are just a little bit 'achey', and a walk would actually probably do them some good....not to mention my stomach, fat arse and extra chin or two!!

    Like Luke, me, Di and your admiring nephew and niece are very much with you in spirit - as I tell the kids, the bad days are there to make the good days stand out and be that much more enjoyable. In fact, without bad days we probably wouldn't realise that we were having good days!!

    I know that you will share my utter joy at the cracking job carried out by the mighty Spurs this evening......or not??!

    Stay strong and walk tall - you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I've heard your singing. Try not to sing TOO loud...........!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey mate sometimes we need to let the negative thoughts out to make stacks more room for the positive ones to come along - and believe me if everyone that is following your journey was able to send you just one positive thought you wouldn't have time for anything negative!! Each and everyone of us that knows you and is following your incredible (mad) expedition is willing you on and wishing you well. Remember chin up shoulders back and keep on keeping on.
    I am with you every step Bruv.

    ReplyDelete
  6. many many positive thoughts coming your way, I cannot even walk to my garden gate, so i admire your efforts, and God e with you on your journey, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. so up until reading your blog I was annoyed at having to get a taxi home from Tooting to Earlsfield because the bus was a 20 minute wait which I wasnt willing to do as my feet were killing me in my heals! Errrr reality check Miss S! Oh and the fried chicken was minging and binned after 1 wing of 6!!!! Diggers was a top gig with Denacious D to finish it off and then an encore of Journey...couldnt have finished any better! A tough day by the sounds of it Mr W but you beat it. Heres to hitting the Norf tomorrow! PS - please can you pray for Gordy the cat not waking me up at 5am - I cant cope! PS - 5-0!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. take all the above comments and really take in how admired you are and obviously loved. It is a sign of fatique. We did kielder 100 mile mountain bike cycle and it is a well known stage honest. its a very dark sense of "doom" and u question everything in life. (ask any long distance cyclist) honest sugar is best .... HARIBO ultra FIZZY come on lance Armstrong cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was driving to Ashford today and heard the great news on BBC Kent that Richard came out of coma today and was able to sit in a chair by his bed.

    That's brilliant news. My stepson Richard spent a similar length of time in coma following a motorbike accident last April. Several months of physio and neuro-rehab followed but he came through and I know your Richard will too but its a slow process.

    Hope that gives you a boost ... you're doing great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, sounds like the Walker's Wall you hit.. exhaustion.. negative thoughts.. remember why you are doing this and how brilliantly you are doing.. agree with above, and without negative's we don't appreciate the positives. Good idea to take a catnap if needed when so exhausted.. any way you can offload some of the poundage?? Btw, Elevensies cake bars are a great form of Carbs, and light to carry..

    ReplyDelete