Monday 15 August 2011

Day 16 - S Worcester to N Kidderminster (20 miles approx)

Today I was once again woken with a full breakfast. I was going to need it because I'd planned to do 25 miles. My Aunty Pat and Uncle Fred had been putting me up (or is that putting up with me?) since last week and sadly it was time for me to leave. I was dropped off at my Cousin Clare's place where their family unit all got in the car with their passenger Walker and we set off for my starting point in south Worcester.

Mark (Clare's husband) walked with me for the first half marathon distance. Walking is great but can be a little monotonous at times so to have a good chat whilst we walked was great. The miles passed quickly and we arrived at Stourport-On-Severn in a speedy 4 hours. Unfortunately on our walk we'd worked out I'd made a schoolboy error in calculating the walking distance to Bewdley. I'd measured in Km's not miles. This meant I'd only cover around 16 miles if I went to Bewdley, missing my daily 20 mile target. Mark suggested heading to Kidderminster via the canal path and we varified this as a good idea with Marks niece and local PE teacher Gemma Steward. Gemma's relationship with the canal was a close one going by a story she told us! I could then go back to Bewdley and do lesser miles tomorrow when I was fully laden. Up until now my pack was being driven around. (never ever look a gift horse in the mouth!)

We had lunch and parted company. Mark and Clare drove my pack ahead to my Bewdley B&B and I set off on the canal tow path to "Kiddi". What a great idea thus had been. Idyllic setting bled into idyllic setting. Tranquillity reigned.

I got to Kiddi feeling very happy and relaxed. I had to leave the canal path and take, once again, to the A-roads. I was passing through Kiddi when I noticed a memorial to Richard Baxter who it was said "In a stormy and divided age advocated unity and comprehension". Maybe we need another Richard Baxter to sort out this 'rioting' issue?

20 miles done and I decided on the lazy Man's route back to Bewdley. Cab. My cab driver told me how Bewdley was a 'catchem' town (where one of the fish bars gets it's name from) which meant in olden times if a vagrant reached and breached Bewdley then he was free to go as no law was enforced beyond there. Hence Catch them but I fear I may have been sold a tale there. Comments welcome.

I went off to my zero star, non luxury B&B. It was the cheapest I could find and believe me it shows. If ever you are desperate to stay somewhere in Bewdley and The Bridge accommodation is the last place left... sleep on the street. It is laughable what can be passed as accommodation but what do I care? I'm staying for one night, I'm in a bar having feasted on fish and chips, and enjoying a game of footy!

Tomorrow see's me pass through the home of the best football team in the world, albeit a sleeping giant, Wolverhampton.

4 comments:

  1. Well done Daimon and Mark. I hope the fee includes breakfast, look out for the finger in the butter. When you pass through the best team in the world at least you won't be held up looking at all the trophies, just buy a wooden spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, well it can only get better eh? perhaps it maybe a good idea if you hold onto your tent!!!!!!! good going today Mark and Daimon,you,re back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY WHO IS THIS ,GRUMPY+TWO, THERE IS ONLY ONE GRUMPY EH DAIMON? HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Daimon you are deffinately seeing the countryside on your journey, glad you had a companion today. Pity about the delightful B+B.You've done well again mileage wise, let's hope your next truck stop is a little better.

    ReplyDelete