Saturday 13 August 2011

Day 14 - Coney Hill, Gloucester to S Worcester (26.5 miles)

The day started like any other. I was sore, limbs had to loosen, within half a mile I was into my stride. Central Gloucester gave way to big suburban houses, which in turn gave way to smaller abode with country dwelling names "Rose Cottage", "Jasmine Cottage", and a personal favourite "Twigsworthy Field". Okay that last one was a road but still a great name.

I felt energised. The countryside was stunning with 360 degree views, the Malvern hills in the distance slowly creeping down my left as I progressed. There was a light breeze and cloud cover. Perfect walking conditions. I could feel perspiration building under my new printed tshirt that stated I was "Lands End to John O'Groats". I checked my Garmin to see how I was getting on. I had to double check because I'd done 3 hours walking in 2 hours. This just didn't make sense but it was true. I was tearing along!

I arrived at Tewksbury in need of refreshment. The local pub promised "Coffee and cake £2.95". I went in and asked for my deal. "Sorry, no cake left". It was only 11am. How much cake did they have in the first place? Was this prize winning cake? Did everyone queue at 10, just to get their hands on this delicious cake? "Just a coffee then please". I was handed a tiny pipette of coffee squirted into a thimble "that'll be £2.50, please". I didn't argue but I made sure that coffee lasted half hour and also made sure I used their wifi for the entire time. It was actually nice to sit for a while.

Off I set again and admired Tewksbury. In 1471 a battle had taken place that was still commemorated today with adobe floral display. Read here for more http://www.britainexpress.com/History/battles/tewkesbury.htm I did and got right into the feel of the town. It really felt like it was in some kind of strange time warp with parts clambering for the 20th century whilst the rest languished in it's comfortable past. I could have stayed there for hours. A really really nice place. I highly recommend it.

I moved on though back into countryside and I was still making excellent time. I dared to imagine completing a marathon distance and as time shuffled on and the miles crept up I decided that the marathon was on!

I tried to call my Aunty and Uncle who were due to pick me up once again but too late, they were already here and I'd only(!) done 21 miles. I asked if they minded if I did 5 more miles. They agreed gladly. I whipped off the bottom part of my trousers making them the rugged Man's marathon shorts, left the relatives with all my other belongings and started running... well I didn't want to keep them waiting any longer than was necessary did I?

It felt awesome, I felt light, in control, and best of all pain free. The perfect end to a perfect day. With a rest day due tomorrow a physio session has been lined up for me and then I'll be plotting my route to the end. The value of being in a bed and carrying less is now tangible so I'll be looking for places to stay (youth hostels, B&B, etc) then ditching the camping gear.

I felt like I could have kept going but no point damaging myself. I finished on a complete high. Brilliant. The week has gone full circle but I am pleased to say team Walker/Niblett have turned the week into one of great success.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Hi what an amazing day for you and feeling so good ,massively well done, WHAT A GREAT TEAM,them walkers/ niblett,Happy walking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daimon it was worth the team effort to see your EUPHORIC face when you arrived at no.52. Well done brilliant effort. THE BEER TASTED GREAT AS WELL.....WELL DONE MATE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daimon - what can I say you are one in a million!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic walking Daimon, well done! x

    ReplyDelete