Friday 12 August 2011

Day 13 - Falfield to Coney Hill, Gloucester City (20.25 miles approx)

Day 12 - (no that's not a typo) what I forgot to mention yesterday was the A38 seems to defy the laws of physics. I'm sure it goes up more than it goes down! Anyway, onto...

Day 13 - Well what a difference it's made to be amongst family. I feel very much like I can take this challenge by the scruff of the neck and show it who's boss. Last night I was made to feel very much at home and immediately comfortable. No putting a tent up or wondering what to eat, or where to shower. Just perfect. This followed on to the morning where a cooked breakfast greeted me as well as a fresh pot of tea. It definitely sets you up for the day.

My Uncle Fred and Aunty Pat drove me back to Falfield (which was much further than I'd reckoned, Sorry Uncle and Aunty!) and I started off in the direction of Gloucester.

Today was all going to be about seeing how my body reacted to the lack of weight and I can say it didn't disappoint. I was knocking miles off so quick I thought my Garmin watch/GPS tracker was going wrong. Double checking with the maps told me I was just fast on pace.

The day was pretty uneventful so I'll wrap up the walking part quickly. Gloucester definitely feels homely to me and just a really nice place. I ended up finishing slightly off course because I'd blindly followed the A38 - as I had been following for so many days prior to this one. This isn't an issue however as it's only slightly off course. It's a bit morbid but the day terminated at a cemetery. These places often = benches and a place for the weary to rest. When I hot to the cemetery I moved to the main road area so as to make my pick up place easier.

Uncle Roger and Aunty Jenny picked me up, immediately offered me tea which I accepted with delight, then it was off to 'Go Outdoor' to find some new socks, compeeds, and inserts for my walking boots. I'm going to have to put them back on eventually. I'm just concerned that they may be causing the tendon trouble. We will see.

So after a quick stop to pick up some fresh clothes (ironed as well! Luxury) my cousin Ian took me for the best thing for guy in my condition. I was treated to a sauna, swimming pool, steam room, and jacuzzi. Could I ask for anymore? I think not. What a great way to finish the day. That and paella back at Aunty Jennys and uncle Rogers place.

Day 13 - unlucky for some, great for me.

Tomorrow sees Tewksbury come and go and the home of some pretty decent sauce appear on the horizon.

Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Log in tonight for a record distance announcement, some pretty decent sauce in sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi a come on the suspense is killing me ,

    ReplyDelete