Wednesday 10 August 2011

Day 11 - Burnham-on-sea to S Bristol (21 miles approx)

I woke early but didn't leave until 10am because I was allowing my little tent to dry as much as possible. This late departure put me on the back foot. I felt as though I was playing catch up all day. This was no good for the spirits.

I don't mind telling you that today I struggled. Both physically and emotionally. I plugged my headphones in and searched for inspiration. All that came were tunes that reminded me of other people, other places, other times. My mind started questioning what I was doing. Why I was doing it was an easy question to answer and if it hadn't been fir the answer I feel I would be sitting on a train heading to London.

The thing that hooked into me was "if you feel like this on one fifth of the way in, how are you going to feel in four weeks time?" Obviously these negative thoughts were upon me and I didn't have the ability to drown them out. My neck, shoulders, back, hips, thighs, hands(!), knees, ankles, and feet all hurt at the same time. I decided to continue and try to drown everything out. The trudge was on and my only aim was to complete the day. This had stopped being fun.

I'm starting to see something about myself and that is I have good days and bad days (as does everyone) but I haven't found that catalyst that changes thoughts, feelings, attitude into positivity.

I'm really looking forward to spending time around family this coming weekend. Hopefully my maps for the rest of the journey should turn up and I'm looking forward to plotting the next 'chunk' of the trip. One thing is for sure I am looking at the option for ditching the camping aspect and resorting to B&B's. More expensive but to be able to walk straight in somewhere, shower, and get into a bed raises the spirits massively. It also means a lighter pack, earlier starts, earlier finishes.

Whatever I decided I know that today has been one of those Lance Armstrong days (thanks to a friend at work for telling me this) "pain may last a day, a week, a month, a year. Quitting lasts forever". All very true and as long as I am not causing myself long term problems I will not quit. However, speak to any runner and I'm sure they will have a story of a DNF (Did not finish).

On a more upbeat note I stopped at 2 different pubs today (Doom Bars are doing well out of me!) and both times there were lots of questions and interest. It's still a challenge and I think my problem is I stopped looking at it as a challenge. I wanted canal walks and beautiful villages. There will be others across the country and I'll love every second of being in them. That is what today has brought me - appreciation of the 'smooth', because today was rough.

With Bristol just down the road I am hoping I'll be able to call on family by the end of the day.

I promise to have a more upbeat report next time. Until then tah tah!

8 comments:

  1. Keep going matey. Chin up! (loving the blog) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. chin up me old mucker! keep on going - you are bound to have down days - but...don't see the bad stroke of the brush, see the bigger picture! (Gemma Pedersen, 2011) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes chin up, you,re in for a good few days in the forest, tomorrow is another day, another day closer, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bruv, the odd down day aint nuthin to be upset about! I'd worry you wern't human if you didn't have them every now and then. You are an amazing person taking on an awesome challenge that most would walk away from, you on the other hand are walking straight into it. Chin up shoulders back, keep on keeping on!! full respect to you Bruv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daimon, don't despair as you said even top athletes have down days.In our eyes you are a very genuine/caring person and a detemined young man. We have seen you grow and blossom and are VERY proud that you are our nephew and what you are trying to achieve. Us old uns might not be able to walk beside you but we are with you in spirit and willing you on.See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to say we love reading your blog, you would make a very good author. You have a way with words. You should publish it all when you finish.AND your David Bellamy impression is fab.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey D, So its taken you 11 days to get to South Bristol, its taken me 11 days to work out how to add a comment...thats me and technology!!! Arent you just so proud :)

    Loving reading your blog and sounds bloody tough, especially yesterday but keep going and if you ever feel on your own just log on to here or Facebook, the support I'm seeing is incredible. Keep that Bruce Forsyth chin up that you impersonate so well (and agree re David Bellamy, very funny) and keep walking til you reach your family who I bet can't wait to see you. Enjoy Bristol (said in that Josie Bristonian accent!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A hero's one that makes it to the start... and you won't be a DNF... you're a fighter! Keep going!! :)

    ReplyDelete