Sunday 31 July 2011

Day 1 - Land's End to Hayle 18 miles

First day done and we (Darren and I) have had what can be described as a learning experience! My pack is weighing in at around 3 stone. This is comfortable IF I have the straps done up correctly. The first 4 miles were fine, we then stopped so I could put on some Lycra! (chaffing is a terrible thing, Lycra for me is a winner). I then put the pack back on but didn't adjust the straps correctly and so ensued approximately 6 miles (2 hours) of pain! My shoulders felt like they were being ripped from their sockets. I had to stop and just by sitting the pack on my hips and tightening the belt, the pressure immediately abated. Relief!
Other learning included:
  • "Public footpath" does not necessarily mean MANAGED footpath and are best avoided on rainy days. Carrying thick soil with you does not help.
  • Ordnance survey maps at 1:25,000 scale are awesome! And our map reading skills improved massively today.
  • Cobble stones that are wet and on a slope of more that 5 degrees should be banned! They turn to the consistency of ice.
  • A program of 5 miles, rest, 5 miles, rest, 5 miles, rest, 5 miles should be the most effective way of staving off muscle pain.
  • Carrying 3 stone on your back is not like running a marathon. Different muscle groups hurt and the mental challenge changes hourly.
Tired now so time for bed. Hoping for less rain tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Daimon, you are my legend!!! Keep on keeping on Bruv. I'm with you every step of the way - well those that don't hurt anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Daimon.

    We've made a small donation to Richard's site. Our 'own' Richard (my stepson) was involved in a horrific motorcycle accident last year. He was several weeks in coma and months in rehabilitation but he pulled through (http://www.getwellrichard.co.uk/)

    Keeping everything crossed for 'your Richard'

    I'll see if I can drum a few more followers for you via my blog - can't have you walking alone!

    ReplyDelete